Friday, April 13, 2007

to reflect

Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the moment, to feel so full of life and friends and feeling. And then you wonder: how can you possibly put this all into words? So that you can forever instill the moment in your memory and so that others can also enjoy your experience through the story you tell.

William Wordsworth described this feeling so well when he wrote his poem, "I wandered lonely as a cloud." He came upon a gorgeous field of yellow daffodils. It was a very striking moment in his life, but it wasn't until he came home and spent some time reflecting on his couch that he was able to fully understand its significance:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

We're back in New York again. We went back to Lil Frankies. We drank wine and ate our fabulous meal. Now I'm back on Spencer & Courtney's couch reflecting on the night, and I just have to thank Wordsworth (what a fitting name) for putting into words just how I'm feeling right now. And for giving me the a-okay for not having the words to describe it. For letting me know that it's okay to be laconic sometimes. The importance is in taking the time to reflect. And right now, I'm just really reflecting.

No comments:

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...