Wednesday, June 06, 2007

hanushka writes on wilde

My sister Hannah just wrote a fabulous essay on one of my favorite books of all time: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. And what a great read it was! Hannah's posting, I mean. Read it. And the book if you haven't yet and you're a sucker for English Dandyism and rococo rhetoric.

Hanushka says:
Then, there is a lovely exchange between two characters that is so quick and smart, and the word-play is so fun and subversive, I immediately wished that we spoke that way still, and took pleasure in each others' witticisms, without so many criticisms. Verbal fencing, I call it. (I'm sure I didn't come up with that). It reminded me of a movie that I saw years ago called Wit, about the parlour games of the french aristocracy, before the revolution, I think.

No comments:

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...