Wednesday, June 20, 2007

separation in love

Col left for Hong Kong yesterday. He'll be there for a week, then on to Taiwan for work. All in all, he'll be gone ten days. Not the longest he's ever been gone, but long enough for his absence to feel substantial.

In separation, I guess, the first day is always the most difficult. Yesterday morning after he left, I felt unsettled. The lump in my throat made it difficult to swallow breakfast. But then I showered. I fed Au Lait. I went to work and eventually became absorbed in the second life that is my profession.

Solitude inspires us to flex our muscles of independence. This is me, the independent woman. But then I got home and was again reminded: yep, it's just me tonight.

Over the next few days, I will fill my time with friends and reading and blogging. I'll find comfort in knowing that my Love's relatively safe, that he's experiencing a whole new place, meeting new people, and that he'll be back next week. I realize that latter comfort is a luxury these days. So I will revel in it. And I'll try not to miss him too much.

No comments:

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...