Sunday, August 12, 2007

flatbread night and other good food

A weekend of culinary enterprise:

Last night I went to Emi & Kev's for grilled flatbread night. Flatbread night is a running tradition among our family and friends that started a couple of years ago--everyone who's invited brings toppings for one pizza. It's always fun to discover each individual's creative undertakings. Being a bunch of foodies, this harmless dinner party theme has become somewhat competitive too.

Since I had been to farmer's market that morning, I decided to do a simple margarita pizza with local heirloom totals, basil, fresh mozzarella, garlic, and--for a twist--Japanese cucumber. All thinly diced. It was delicious and beautiful. But though I won the prize for presentation, I concede that Bannister and Isaac's chicken and asparagus pie won for flavor. I really liked Emi's too, which had thinly sliced zucchini, spicy tomato sauce, and habanero cheddar.

* * * * *

The night before I went to Becky & Ewen's for mango bruschetta and sangria. I loved the sangria with so much chopped up fruit floating on top--plums, blueberries, pears, strawberries. The mango was fabulous with fresh chopped mint and a goat cheese base.

* * * * *

And today. Today, I took the big old honker of zucchini that Lorraine gave me last week and made the most fabulous muffins: grated zucchini, chocolate chips, toasted almond, and--get this--fresh chopped basil. The basil was a fabulous compliment to the dark chocolate and grassy zucchini flavor. Yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...