Sunday, July 19, 2009

sunday night dinner

We've started doing a family dinner on Sunday nights. It's a great way to end the weekend and start the week. And it's always pretty low stress because it's just family. Sometimes "family" is invited too. Usually we go to Emi & Kev's. There's even a ritual to it. Colin brings his frisbee so he and Kev can go play out back with the dogs. The aunties dance and play with Sapphie till her bedtime, then once the babe's asleep, we adults all sit down to a lovely dinner together.

Tonight, we had Family Dinner at our place for a change. It was good because I was in the mood for lots of chopping and Colin was in the mood for lots of vacuuming. I made: green salad, potato salad (tried out a new recipe, per Col, and he really likes this one—using Bubbies Bread & Butter pickles is key!) and grilled pizza with summer veggies. Emi & Kevin brought corn on the cob so we threw that on the grill too.

Oh, and for dessert, I made mint chocolate chip ice cream. I tried a different recipe that's all cream (no milk at all) and it was pretty fantastic, but I probably wouldn't do it again. Too rich! I served it our little espresso cups with fresh blueberries on the side. I wish I had've taken a picture cause it was so pretty. Oh well.

Looking back, it actually sounds like quite a production, but would you believe that just chop, chop, chopping away is the most relaxing thing in the world for me? I don't know who or where I get that from. I could just chop and mix all day.

And now the ice cream maker has officially made its debut this year (a little late, but just in time to make the most of all that fresh summer fruit).

No comments:

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...