Thursday, November 29, 2007

top 10, plus 100 notable books of the year (per nytimes)

Feeling ambitious? Check out the books the New York Times rates as the most notable books of the year. I thought I was doing pretty well with my book-reading over the past year, but the only one I've read from this list is What is the What and I couldn't even finish because it was making me cry so much. (No, I haven't read the last Harry Potter book yet--I'm waiting until I can get it from the library.)

A hundred books is a lot. Maybe this list, dubbed as "The 10 Best Books of 2007" by the Times is a little more manageable. Although I must admit that the titles seem a bit daunting. And depressing! Whatever happened to funny books? Or books that stir the imagination? Is it that they don't have a lesson to offer? I just finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and I'm looking for a upper? Any suggestions?

Penelope

3 comments:

Allison said...

I've been meaning to suggest this one to you for some time and this post is the perfect excuse. You simply MUST read "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan (and if you haven't read "Botany of Desire" that's a must read as well). I have a copy for you - was going to give it to you at my Bday party.

JennB said...

I love The Bell Jar... great book, but a downer for sure. Try Water for Elephants - a great read, fast story, and leaves you wanting more!

Unknown said...

How about breaking loose and reading one of my favourite authors, Elizabeth Buchan. She wrote such greats as "Revenge 0f The Middle-Aged Woman" and "The Good Wife Strikes Back". She's a superb writer, and I recommend her "Consider The Lily" as a first time Buchan reader, set in the late 20's between the wars. Love, Mum xxx

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...