Monday, January 28, 2008

mushrooms come popping up

Every month, I receive a welcome missive from my good friend Madeleine Vedel. Together she and her husband Erick run a cooking school in Provence, France. It is there I stayed for several months after college, and the memories from that time run deep and vivid in my mind.

The most recent missive in my mailbox talked about mushrooms and reminded me of when we went mushroom hunting during a stay in the gorgeous lush hills of the Cévennes mountains in Southern France. I was very homesick at the time, and the green, rolling forests reminded me very much of my home in Vermont.

At the end of an adventurous treasure hunt, I had found a total of 3 large cèpes (also known as porcinis). A proud moment! We brought them by the local pharmacy (to check for poisonous varieties) and then whisked them home to cook up a fabulous supper.

And here is Madeleine's letter...





Photos: Penelope, Madeleine and friends mushroom hunting in the Cévennes in Southern France, 2002.

Penelope

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Penelope - have you read Heat, by Bill Buford? Your post reminded me of a chapter about porcinis in northern Italy... I think you'd like the book!

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...