Friday, March 06, 2009

gray friday, gay saturday

It actually feels like spring today. The clouds are hanging low and dark. It feels like it's going to drizzle. It's an England kind of sky. I welcome it, I suppose. As much as I love the snow. Sometimes a little change of scenery is good for the soul.

This weather makes me want to eat Cadbury mini eggs.

My childhood friend Mandy is getting married this weekend. She goes by Amanda now. Colin was supposed to go with me. But then he had to travel for work. They've rented a bus so that all the guests can go skiing/riding at the mountain together before the wedding.

Going to weddings by yourself is very strange. I've done it a few times. You feel like the odd one out. Or like everyone is watching you. (Which is the furthest thing from the truth—everyone's watching the bride.) If I had a group of friends to go with, it would be different. But I don't even know who will be there besides her family. Her family is great. Her dad used to be my doctor. It shall be a great party though. I'm sure of it.

I love Amanda. She used to be my best friend in high school. Then we went our separate ways to college and thereafter. And she and I are both terrible about staying in touch. But I still love her like an old friend. Friends for over 15 years. You know that song by Simon and Garfunkel: "Old friends. Old friends. Sit on the park bench like book ends." That's how I feel about Amanda.

Can't wait to see her in all her glory. As much as she hates that!

(P.S. Does anyone actually remember that "gay" means jovial? I like this word. It's my aunt's name. Tomorrow shall be gay!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you, Soe. You'll be just fine tomorrow, and I'm sure that you'll know all kinds of people at Mandrake's wedding! Give her a very special hug from me, and please take lots of piccies so that I can see her in 'all her glory'!! xx Mama

LinkWithin - 4 posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...